LSI Portsmouth (Language Specialists International) was established in 1985 and is accredited by the British Council for the teaching of English as a foreign language. We offer high-quality and competitively-priced courses to suit all abilities and many different academic and professional needs. We run courses in General English, IELTS and Cambridge Exam Preparation, Professional and Business English and University Pre-Sessional Courses and are located in Portsmouth, a lively and historic university city on the beautiful south coast of England.
Why Study With Us?
- Excellent academic reputation. According to the EL Gazette, based on the British Council inspection results we are a Centre of Excellence, placing us amongst the very best UK language schools. We are a large, friendly school running courses to suit individual needs. We offer IELTS and Cambridge exam preparation, General English, University Pre-Sessional and Executive Programmes. We are also an official IELTS test centre. Our minimum age is 18 (average age 25) and maximum class size is 12. We believe in personal care and attention and putting our students’ needs first.
- We’re one of the few remaining independent specialist Executive Training Centres – and we have a 26-year track-record in this field with large numbers of Fortune 500 clients, including Siemens, Bayer and Renault. The average age in the Professional courses is 40.
- Top quality accommodation, most within easy walking distance of school. There are very few other language schools in Portsmouth and we are the largest year-round language school, so have the very best choice of host families. As well as ‘standard’ families, we have ‘Executive’ host families for our business students plus a wide-range of quality hotels. We also have self-catering student houses, with large study bedrooms, many with en-suite bathrooms, shared kitchens and living/dining areas and free WiFi throughout.
- Job Club is a free service to give students the tools to help them find a job here in the UK. Interview and CV advice, legal information, local vacancies, weekly ‘clinic’.
- Full Social Programme – minimum of two evening activities and a weekend excursion every week. Weekly football matches with the teachers. Separate social programme for Executive students.
- University of Portsmouth - We have a formal co-operation agreement, which among other things gives our students direct progression onto the UoP programmes from our pre-sessional courses. LSI students can also join the university union clubs and societies and enjoy their hobbies and interests while making friends with British and overseas students. We are one of very few UK Language schools to have this opportunity for students.
- Portsmouth is a lively university city with 20,000 students out of a population of 200,000. We are in the heart of the university area, with cafés, bars, restaurants, shops, theatres, live music venues and pubs full of British and overseas students all around.
- Portsmouth is the UK’s only island city and has the sea on 3 sides and miles of beaches. Enjoy life relaxing on the beach at the weekend or meet friends, play sport and have barbecues on the extensive parkland area next to the beach. Take a ferry to the beautiful Isle of Wight or even to France or northern Spain.
- Portsmouth is a fascinating historical city known for its maritime past and many museums. Explore Nelson’s HMS Victory, the Historic Dockyard, D-Day Museum, Charles Dickens’ Birthplace Museum, the Sherlock Holmes exhibition and many other interesting places.
- LSI has great facilities and resources – 55 well-equipped classrooms with interactive white boards in our largest rooms, two student lounges (separate Executive one) with large flatscreen TVs, table tennis, pool table, piano, a cafeteria serving hot and cold food daily, free WiFi, a fully-resourced Study Centre with student computers and free guided E-Learning for every student. Welcome to LSI Portsmouth